Photos by Hillary Ehlen
In U32 Apartment’s Phase II, there’s a gathering space that welcomes residents with the feeling of historic charm. The Cigar Lounge is brand new, yet delivers an experience rooted in the grand, majestic past. Through thoughtful selections crafted uniquely for today, here’s how we brought modern historic vibes to North Fargo.
Goals for the Space
Roers, the construction and development company behind U32, wanted to create a welcoming and comfortable retreat filled with the functionality and fun of its lifestyle brand. The lounge was designed as a space for residents to entertain, join in to watch the big game or celebrate life’s occasions.
Inspiration for the Design
Through my travels, I’ve drawn inspiration for spaces like the Cigar Lounge at Seattle’s high-end bars with games such as shuffleboard. And, from a Santa Barbara seafood restaurant that selected and staged each detail from flooring to lighting to intentionally highlight its historic naval theme.
Inspiration led me to design the space as the combination of a classic cigar lounge with a moody and historic vibe, with a traditional college bar. Fun, right? The vibe came alive through careful curation to make the space fun and interesting.
Furniture for the Look
A shuffleboard and ping pong table craft a playful feel. There’s lots of comfy seating to kick your feet up and watch the game. Hosting more than a few friends? Pull up one of the twelve bar chairs to the high-top tables. There’s also a nearly 13-foot custom-designed table from Grain Designs for board games or simply relaxing with friends.
Accessories for the Wow
With furniture in place, it’s on to accessories for the vintage cigar lounge feel. You can create this memorable vibe in your home using my design techniques:
- Use different wall treatments to create visual interest — brick, tile, paint and a wood accent wall. The “wood” is actually Italian tile on the 20-foot-wide wall.
- Select moody paint colors such as Sherwin Williams Naval for the walls and ceiling.
- Shop for soft-seating and table chairs in the iconic Chesterfield style and velvet fabrics (the epitome of vintage cigar lounge).
- Incorporate a vintage feel by choosing exotic woods, dark stains and unique bases to layer a classic look and steer away from industrial.
- Enliven the space with brass hardware and lighting. Brass is back in style, and while it may be trendy, when used in a classic, moody space, it’s timeless.
- Collect art and accessories that are both intriguing and vintage. We used items such as American flags, tea-stained framed art and antique books for that woodsy scent.
- Add in a few quirky pieces because it wouldn’t be a Christen Joy design without pops of fun and color!
Rest for the Win
Around the corner, the traditional cigar lounge theme is recognizable in the public restroom with dramatic flooring, high-gloss navy tile and gray walls. Brass accents maintain the beat of the iconic drum on faucets and the trash bin. Lighting with lower-watt bulbs sustains the mood in a warm amber glow. The cherry on top? Art that can only be assumed to be the first selfie.
For residents, the U32 lounge is the perfect combination of comfort and chic. I can’t wait for residents to connect and create life-long memories in this new, old-world space!
Read more about U32 in our previous articles, “How To Organize Your Projects” and “U32 Is Fargo’s First All-Inclusive Living Concept“
LIVE CHRISTEN JOY
Anderson is a Minnesota native with an eye for decor and design. Christen Joy specializes in new-construction commercial projects, exceptional remodels, furnishing high-end living spaces and creating memorable special events. Anderson is also a passionate art collector, world traveler and home cook who frequently entertains for friends.
Join me on Instagram and Facebook to see my latest projects and email me your design questions at [email protected]